Saturday, July 6, 2013

Old Dog, No Tricks!


A bit of valuable advice has finally sunk in that art marketer Marty Rulolph told me some 7 years ago. Had I listened to her, I would likely be in a different place in my art career and painting ability than I am currently.

 I’m grateful to God that I made a last minute decision to enter the Impressionist Society 2013 competition and that I was fortunate to find their Facebook page. Many of the contest winners who have been invited to the exhibition have been posting their entries. Everyone of them would be classified as traditional in plein air or impressionistic style.

Seven years ago, when I shared with Marty, my new direction in painting with a heavy impasto, saturated color and slightly abstracted style alongside my traditional painting she voiced concerns. Marty said, “This new work with its contemporary edge of texture and over the top color may be serving you to open doors of Portland, Oregon venues. If you have any aspirations to market your work outside of Portland, your “new work”, will read as unskilled painting.”

This was hard to receive because it wasn’t until I broke from my traditional painting that I got any response from area galleries. I asked her, “How can I make it as an artist in Oregon unless I’m willing to paint work that will compliment the Mid Century Modern, regional flavor?” She cautioned me that decorating trends change yearly and chasing gallery representation or sales by adopting the flavor of the month will hurt me in the long run. Marty gave the example of Tuscany landscapes with red tile roofs. She asked, “How many real art collectors are ready to puke if they see another Tuscany red roof?” She tried to remind me that, highly skilled, well executed art that connects with the soul will resonate nationally and globally for decades, if not centuries.

 What I’ve found is Portland, OR area galleries that are left standing in this tough economy also subscribe to Marty’’s commonsense view point. Forever Art, the gallery I just got into in Portland, which has been in operation for 30 plus years, is showing my plein air pieces that lean traditional in color and style with just a touch of impasto for interest. Carole Bordak the owner decided take of few of my heavy impasto florals because she said they are fun and have a good compositional flow. They might appeal to a younger collector. All this is just for a 3 month trial basis. If nothing sells, she will evaluate whether to keep me my work in her gallery

Lesson learned, return to my roots of traditional painting and go for improvement from there. Strive to create a good painting, not a trendy painting. You would think that someone who has been painting  since she was 15 years old and working at her painting skill for the last 40 years would have learned that much earlier in development. I’m glad this old dog finally learned "No tricks, just paint."




 



 
 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment