Thursday, September 3, 2015

What type of Umbrella Should I use for Plein Air Painting?


A question I am frequently asked is, "What type of umbrella should I be using for Plein Air painting?" There are no easy answers for umbrellas. With many years of painting in hot sun, rain and hail, I have gathered 5 different umbrellas that I use in different ways. 4 are UV protective coated umbrellas. One is an oversized golf umbrella.

The umbrella I use the most is the Easy L. Plein Air Umbrella Kit.


The umbrella I like and use the most is my new EasyL plein air umbrella kit. It’s the only umbrella kit I’ve owned that I take to every plein air painting session and haven’t wanted to drop kick off a cliff overlooking a scenic painting view.

I discovered my favorite plein air painting umbrella at the Plein Air Painting Convention and Expo 2015I was checking out the many art supply manufacturers displays at the convention expo and had the opportunity to talk extensively with  Eric Chang at the EasyL display station. Eric is the master designer of all EasyL Pochade boxes, as well as, new EasyL umbrella kit.  Eric demonstrated the umbrella kit’s easy mounting and adjusting to any position. I was shown how the unique rubber clamp would tightly fit on any size and shape easel leg. Being mechanically challenged, I insisted mounting it myself. When I saw I could quickly figure out how to use it without directions, I was sold. I want to mention it is important read the directions and to tie the bungee cord to the umbrella spokes and then to the telescoping staff. I almost lost my umbrella because didn’t read directions and tied the bungee to the umbrella shaft and then to the telescoping staff. One time when the umbrella lifted out of its mount, as it is supposed to, the umbrella flew off and separated from the bungee. The EasyL kit purposely has the umbrella sits loose in the graphite telescoping staff. A long slim bungee is tied to umbrella and then to the telescoping staff. Because it is loose to fly off in a gust of wind, umbrella doesn’t act as a sail to pull over your plein air painting set up.

EasyL is a very customer friendly company and are very helpful when you have any questions or need to order reorder a part. I decided to order umbrella replacement. EasyL replacement umbrellas were first manufactured for their original kit but fit the new kit’s telescoping staff. The replacement umbrella is not as wide as the umbrella that comes with their new umbrella kit. I’m the type who likes to have a few extra things handy in my van when I’m out plein air painting. Things like extra paint, an extra older and used tripod, some tools, duct tape and bungees. You never know when some part of your plein air painting set up will fail. I figured I have had so replace so many regular rain umbrellas because of spoke failure that it would be good to have a spare umbrella that fits my new kit incase I’m participating in a plein competition and the unforeseen happens.


The EasyL umbrella Kit is by far the by far the best umbrella I have in my plein air painting arsenal. I always have it with me because it is very easy to set up and adjust. It’s light and portable and works the way it is intended. I know I can count on it to keep sun off my painting and pallet. I was very glad to have it at the highest profile plein air competition I’ve been juried into, the Pacific NW Plein Air. The first day of that event went from sun to rain and from rain to sun multiple times. A typical Oregon day. An umbrella was helpful for different reasons the whole day.  For those painters who are new to plein air painting, it is as important to keep sun off your pallet and painting as it is to keep rain off of it. Shading your pallet and painting from the sun keep you from painting your piece too dark. When you are looking at your painting surface in bright sunlight, what you put down never seems dark enough. But when you take your painting out of the sunlight and into indoor lighting, you would think you had painted a nocturnal.

I make a regular habit of at least mounting the EasyL staff and clamp on the side of the tripod where the sun is or most likely to move to. The kit is so easy to reposition because of a ball head joint that works like the ball head on you camera tripod. It takes little time and effort to adjust the umbrella position or switch the kit to another leg as sun moves.



The obvious selling point of the EasyL umbrella Kit is that it doesn’t pull down your painting easel. However, in extremely high wind conditions, I do have to admit that my EasyL umbrella is off the telescoping mount more than on it. If the umbrella is not shading your painting and pallet, it can’t do its job. I had to come up with a special solution because any umbrella attached to the easel would give you a problem is such difficult painting conditions. You either have to sacrifice by not painting a view you really want to paint and picking a view where sun is not hitting you canvas panel, or you must set up your easel facing away from the view and paint standing sideways, and look behind you at your painting subject. I’m just not very good at that

The solution I came up with for extreme high wind conditions is a Coolbar UV mini umbrella with a tented wind vent and very flexible spokes. I literally bungee cord the umbrella staff around my torso. I’ve also used my back brace for lifting to attach the umbrella staff to my torso because it is more comfortable. If it is particularly hot, I opt for bungee cord because it is cooler than the lifting belt, though the bungee is uncomfortable to ware. When the umbrella blows inside out, I pull it back down. If you had been with me painting in 20 mile and hour constant wind gusts at Ruthon Park in the Columbia River Gorge, I was quite entertaining to watch. It was slapstick comedy. I was able use this unusual umbrella set up to keep sun off my canvas  and paint facing the view I wanted; the a fabulous morning view of the Gorge bathed in the lemon yellow morning sun. I guess I just preferred fighting with my umbrella body armor than trying than to attempt painting with my panel facing away from the subject which talented and experienced plein air artists such as Mitch Baird and Michael Orwick do so well.

To shade me when I paint in triple digit hot and sunny weather, I use 2 umbrellas; the EasyL for the painting and pallet and the Shade Buddy for me.  Watch this video on the Shade Buddy Umbrella System.


The shade buddy can only be set up in soft terrane such as dirt, grass or sand. For a shade umbrella on pavement, I rigged up a homemade umbrella stand with a unipod for a camera with a golf umbrella holder attached to it. I then bungee cord that homemade plein air umbrella setup to my Wike bicycle grocery cart that I use for a plein air painting cart. I move the cart and adjust the golf umbrella holder as the sun moves

In very hot and sunny weather, I make a point of being under an umbrella because you do stay cooler, but, I always lather up with sunscreen and wear a brimmed hat whether or not the temperature dictates the need for manmade shade

In high wind and sideways rain situations, I can only use my huge, oversized golf umbrella bungeed or belted to my torso. I found one that has neutral black and grey colors with a tented wind hole. It is a huge and sturdy beast of a golf umbrella that as yet to turn inside out no matter how strong the wind has gotten. It’s my umbrella of last resort. I’m more stationary than any stand. When it is bungeed or belted to me, I can get close in with umbrella coverage that protects the pallet and painting from water. When your only priority becomes keeping your painting and pallet dry, stepping back from your painting goes out the window. I keep a small plastic reduction glass in my plein air supplies. This helps me look at my painting as if I were standing several feet from it. That’s if I remember to use it when driving rain suddenly interrupts a plein air painting session. I’m usually al little stressed during rain and high wind situations and many good painting habits go out the window because you’re hoping that with your tripod will have enough weight holding your tripod set up down to keep it from being blown over with or without an umbrella. Just finishing the work feels like a battle won.

I’ve noticed lately many plein air painting friends make a habit setting their tripod legs extra wide and low. That way they are not caught by surprise in a sudden change of weather conditions. I don’t always think to do that unless I start out with a high wind situation. I need to start adopting that smart practice. When the wind takes down my set up down and trashes a painting that was going fabulously. I know I will be kicking myself that I should have known better.

I’ve found it just takes time and practice in many situations with different plein air painting gear to achieve what you are trying to accomplish when the weather doesn’t want to cooperate.

Some experienced plein air painting friends are sometimes a little critical of the amount of equipment I bring in my plein air cart or keep on hand in my van. I guess I have to agree with them. I feel at least I’m out there trying to paint as much as I can and using equipment that gets me through the session. I do find my equipment limits where I can paint because I use a cart to haul supplies. I know I have to start working on a significantly scaled down my plein air painting set up so it can be hiked into certain areas. Because I often do large panels and paint in many different weather situations, I’m using what I can, to get the job done. Like anything else done outside in Oregon, if you are not prepared for wind and rain, you get don’t get much plein air painting done if you are only waiting for optimum weather. I also keep a rain slicker and boots in my van. Like camping, the dryer you stay, the more comfortable you are and will be able to take your painting to completion.


Anna Lancaster painting Plein Air with an umbrella
I try to paint as often as I can, rain or shine. Many times just in very safe local neighborhood areas. I may not have the most exciting paintings, but by God’s grace, I can paint enough to improve and live to paint another day.

I do want to mention in Oregon, there may be high wind and rain, but lightning storms are very rare. However, growing up in NJ, I understanding the danger of lightning storms. If a lightning storm comes up unexpectedly, the painting set up comes down as fast as I can and I’m out of there. Internet weather tracking is important to any outdoor activity. If a lighting storm possibility is in the forecast, I don’t go out and enjoy the safety of indoor painting. No umbrella is safe in unsafe conditions.

No comments:

Post a Comment